Regulations & Planning

Regulations & Planning (30)

Consultation Paused on Updated Wetland Mapping

Please be advised that the RVCA, SNC and RRCA are pausing consultation on updated wetland mapping. We appreciate the feedback and comments we have received to-date and support direction we received from the Ministry of Natural Resources giving us time to work on a local approach.

Over the coming months, the conservation authorities will work with ministry staff, municipalities and stakeholders to develop this local approach. Please note that this means that open houses and one-on-one meetings with property owners will be paused and rescheduled at a later date.

  • CANCELLED – Open House on June 26 (RVCA Administrative Office, Manotick)
  • CANCELLED – Open House on June 27 (SNC Administrative Office, Finch)

If you have any questions, please contact RVCA staff at 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504 or by email at .



On April 1, 2024, the Government of Ontario replaced individual Conservation Authority Regulations under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, with Ontario Regulation 41/24: Prohibited Activities, Exemptions and Permits. The goal of this legislative change was to streamline approvals and establish a standardized approach to the regulation of natural hazards, wetlands, watercourses and shorelines across Ontario.

The RVCA has updated its development policies to comply with the new regulation and be more user-friendly by:

    • Improving transparency of the permit process.
    • Consolidating all applicable policies into one document.
    • Maintaining a consistent standard for review and thresholds for approvals.
    • Enhancing the functionality of the document as a reference tool and technical guide.
    • Increasing responsiveness of the document by annual updating to address emerging trends, legislative changes, and innovations in natural hazard protection.

The RVCA’s Draft Development Activity Policies and Procedures: Policies and Procedures for Development Activity permit applications made under Section 28.1 of the Conservation Authorities Act is now available for public consultation.

For more details, contact us:

Phone: 613.692.3571 or 1.800.267.3504

November 09, 2022

Hearing Procedures

Super User

If your application has been refused or approved with conditions, you can appeal through a the RVCA's Hearing Board. 

For guidance, downoad the RVCA Hearing Procedures.

July 26, 2022

How to Submit Digital Paperwork

Super User

  MVCA-Logo2021_RGB_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy.png    rvca-logo-2018_copy.png

 How to submit digital paperwork:

  1. Access all forms and fee information by clicking here.

  2. Be sure that the application is in PDF format (including photos). 
    • Consider using apps such as Turbo Scan that convert jpeg photos into PDF documents. 
    • Upgrading software on office desktop to Adobe Pro to be able to edit PDF documents.

2. Electronic files that accompany the email request/instruction must be applied as an ATTACHMENT.

3. Email your application to the intake email address identified by your municipality listed here.

4. Watch for payment details. Directions on how to make payment will be sent to your inbox. Please note, payments must be received to activate the permitting process.

July 26, 2022

How to Report a Complaint

Super User

  MVCA-Logo2021_RGB_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy.png    rvca-logo-2018_copy.png

 When reporting a failing system or other occurrences please contact your local conservation authority. You will need to provide the following information upon calling our office for the property in question:

  • Name of Property Owner
  • Civic Address (Ex. 3889 Rideau Valley Dr.)
  • Municipality
  • Complaint (e.g., I can see sewage pooling on my neighbors’ septic bed)
  • Are you a neighbour, councillor, or installer? From the Health Unit, By-Law Office or Building Inspector?

Please note all reports are kept confidential

If you would like to receive a response from us ensure you leave contact information otherwise we will treat this as an anonymous report.

July 26, 2022

Septic FAQ and Resources

Super User

  MVCA-Logo2021_RGB_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy.png    rvca-logo-2018_copy.png


NEW BOOKLET: Septic Smart - Understanding your Home's Wastewater System

Septic System/Treatment Units with Annual Maintenance Agreements


July 11, 2022

Septic Approvals

Super User

  MVCA-Logo2021_RGB_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy.png    rvca-logo-2018_copy.png

The Mississippi Valley and Rideau Valley Conservation Authorities administer Part 8 (Sewage systems approvals) of the Ontario Building Code on behalf of several watershed municipalities (listed below). This means your local conservation authority is responsible for reviewing septic designs and plans, issuing Building Permits for new and replacement sewage systems, and inspecting installations to ensure compliance with provincial regulations. 

Learn more on how to submit your application by choosing the municipality where you are installing or replacing a Part 8 sewage system. Not listed below? Check with your municipality to learn about their septic approvals agent.


Who should you call for septic information? 

Septic Inspections Map RVCA only 24x36 v6 web small

Eric Kohlsmith | Septic Inspector 
10970 Highway 7 | Carleton Place | Ontario K7C 3P1
t. 613 253 0006 ext. 256 |

Terry K. Davidson, P. Eng. | RVCA Director, Regulations and Chief Building Official
3889 Rideau Valley Drive | Manotick | Ontario K4M 1A5
t. 613-692-3571 ext. 1107 |  

An applicant may also need approval from the RVCA for any construction or development work looking to take place in a regulated area in or near a river, stream, steep slope, wetland or shoreline. For more information, go to RVCA Permits - Section 28.

Page 1 of 3

Contact Us

Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
3889 Rideau Valley Drive
Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A5

613-692-3571, 1-800-267-3504



Regular Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Member of: conservation ontario