During the fall we collect water quality data in various lakes and streams throughout the Rideau Valley watershed.
What to Expect
You’ll spend a lot of time traveling to remote areas in an RVCA vehicle with one of our professionals. Your day will typically start at 8:00 a.m. and end at 4:00 p.m., however, some days might be longer. You’ll be walking steep slopes; entering cold and fast flowing water wearing chest waders; canoeing in lakes and sometimes working in inclement weather.
Tentative dates are Monday to Friday, October 1, 2018, through to November 2, 2018. Depending on the fall conditions, this opportunity may start earlier and/or end later.
Skills and Competencies Required
- To be successful in this role, you will already need to be comfortable traveling long distances, working in cold temperatures in and around water, wading through streams and walking in difficult terrain. We are looking for volunteers with good communication skills, positive attitude and the ability to work in teams.
Skills and Competencies To Be Acquired
To be successful in this role, you will already need to be comfortable travelling long distances, working in cold temperatures in and around water, wading through streams, wearing chest waders, touching benthic invertebrates and walking in difficult terrain. We are looking for volunteers with good communication skills, positive attitude and able to work in teams.
- Aquatic sampling field experience;
- wearing chest waders and working in streams;
- operating a multiparameter water chemistry probe;
- use of a Secchi disk, a composite sampler, and a Van Doren
- Kick and sweep techniques for benthic invertebrates
You will need your own transportation to and from RVCA headquarters (3889 Rideau Valley Drive, Manotick.
Read the Participant Guide found in the volunteer section of the RVCA website.
You will need to provide:
- your own warm and water-resistant clothing (dressing in layers is a good idea);
- your own footwear and extra socks – wear closed toe shoes to get around;
- to wear chest waders you will require a thick pair of socks with length (no ankle socks);
- your own lunch, snacks, and beverages.
- chest waders and flotation safety equipment;
- sampling equipment, supervision and instruction.
Contact ROSARIO at firstname.lastname@example.org