Do I Need A Permit?

If you are planning to do any work near a lake, river, stream, floodplain, steep slope or wetland, you may require approval from the RVCA.

The following projects require RVCA review and approval: 

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind,
  • changes that would alter the use or potential use of a building or structure
  • increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  • site grading,
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating in the site or elsewhere,
  • the straightening, changing or diverting or interfering with an existing channel of a river, creek, stream or watercourse, or changing or interfering with a wetland.
  • All shorelines and watercourses, regardless of whether or not they appear on mapping, are subject to the alteration to waterways component of Ontario Regulation 174/06.

If you are not within an identified floodplain, wetland, adjacent to a steep slope or working on the waterfront, then a permit may not be required from the RVCA. You should still contact your municipality to ensure your project meets municipal requirements. Please contact us for information.

NOTICE — January 2018

Please note: the Goulbourn Wetland Complex is no longer exempted from RVCA's regulated area. Full details are available here.


Contact Us

Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
3889 Rideau Valley Drive
Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A5

613-692-3571, 1-800-267-3504



Regular Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Member of: conservation ontario