1392 N Anderson Rd
Phone: 613-692-3571 ext. 1100
Open year round
Dawn to dusk
subject to winter conditions
Activities and Amenities
The Meisel Woods Conservation Area is 130-acres of excellent Precambrian Shield land. It is a forested natural area with plants, animals and landscape typical of the headwaters of the Tay and Upper Rideau watershed. The property surrounds a 60-acre, headwaters lake known as Beaver or Bass Lake and includes additional waterfrontage on Crow Lake.
The property was generously donated to the Rideau Valley Conservation Foundation by John Meisel in 2000. Mr. Meisel’s interest is that the property remain undeveloped. That wish will be respected. The goal of the new Meisel Woods Conservation Area is environmental protection. The only improvements foreseen are along the trail, with the creation of a small parking lot and a sign.
Special Feature - In Loving Memory — The Sandi Slater Memorial Walk
Joe and Sandi Slater, neighbours of Mr. Meisel, regularly walked through the woods and around the lake for recreation and tranquility. On the sudden passing of Mrs. Slater in the spring of 2003, and with the collaboration of Mr. Meisel, memorial gifts were directed towards the establishment of the Sandi Slater Memorial Walk. The Walk is now a central feature of the new Meisel Woods Conservation Area and more safety and access improvements are planned in the future. Phase one is complete, and with your generous donations, we can complete phase two of the trail that will lead around Bass Lake — that same trail of peace, quiet and reflection that the Slaters had enjoyed for many years.
The opening of this new public property in Central Frontenac is the result of a whole community of effort and all involved are to be heartily congratulated on their thoughtful and generous gesture. In particular, Mr. John Meisel, Professor Emeritus of Queens University, Mr Joe Slater, dedicated and hardworking community gentleman, and the many donors and volunteers to the cause deserve our heartfelt gratitude. The property is a major investment in the quality of life in Central Frontenac and the upper Rideau watershed.