Ordinary people doing extraordinary things for the environment
About Us
Conservation Areas
News, Publications & Events
Planning, Regulations & Permits
Protecting Our Land
Protecting Our Water
Rideau Valley Conservation Foundation
Septic System Permits
Watershed Information
Planning, Regulations and Permits
Ontario Regulation 174/06



Ontario Regulation 174/06 — Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses

The RVCA protects and regulates important environmentally sensitive areas such as wetlands, shorelines and waterways. Regulation occurs under Ontario Regulation 174/06— Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation. This regulation replaced the The Fill, Construction and Alteration to Waterways Regulation on May 1, 2006.




Do I need a permit?

If you are planning to do any work near a lake, river, stream or wetland, you may require approval from a Conservation Authority.

The following activities require permission:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind, changes that would alter the use or potential use a building or structure
  • increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling
    units in the building or structure,
  • site grading,
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating
    in the site or elsewhere,
  • the straightening, changing or diverting or interfering with an existing channel of a
    river, creek, stream or watercourse, or
  • changing or interfering with a Provincially Significant Wetland (including
    other adjacent lands within 120m of the wetland boundary)

Contact an RVCA Information Specialist 613-692-3571 and we can tell you if your require a permit for your work on your property and how to apply.

Note: Approval from the Conservation Authority does not replace building permits or any other permits issued through municipal offices or other levels of government.


What Areas are Regulated?

If located in a regulated area, these types of lands are affected:

  • ravines, valleys, steep slopes
  • wetlands (swamps, marshes, bogs, fens and ponds)
  • any river, creek, flood plain or valley land


— Click here to view maps of the regulated areas



What Happens When You Call?
Calling ahead of time will save everyone time and money. You can view maps at the RVCA’s LandOwner Resource Centre that show where your property is located relative to regulated areas. If necessary, Conservation Authority staff may visit your property. Staff will also advise you about the approval process for your specific project.

What Happens If You Don't Call?
If you don't call the RVCA, you may do something that is not permitted. If your project is illegal, you may have to remove the work and you may be fined.

We can answer any other questions you have about projects on land regulated by Ontario Regulation 97/04. Just give us a call.

For preliminary inquiries, contact:
613.692.3571 or 1.800.267.3504 (toll free in 613 exchange area)

If you have an application submitted to the RVCA regarding your project, contact:
Rideau Valley Conservation Authority

Who Else Should You Call?
You should also call the Building Department of your local municipality. It will have other guidelines that apply to your project.